1. Use wax paper to line a baking sheet
2. In a bowl combine peanut butter, butter, sugar & vanilla
3. Roll peanut butter mixture into 48 balls, place on sheet & refrigerate for an hour
4. Combine chocolate chips with shortening in a microwave safe bowl, then nuke until melted - BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER COOK - try 60 seconds first then 10 second intervals after that
5. Dip refigerated balls with a fork into melted chocolate, but not all the way - leaving an opening for the "cornea" - hold each ball over chocolate until it stops dripping - then place cornea side up on the baking sheet.
6. Use mini M&M's for the eyes and after they're all in place, put back in refrigerator or freezer - serve chilled!